Now that we get the singles out of the way, let us talk about the next step.
You have read about my episode of being right on time for my own wedding reception, so some more cultural clashes are expected after the cocktail. For those who have experienced the hospitality in Asia, it is common to hand over an envelop with cash to the reception desk before joining the party. I had two Taiwanese friends who hailed from US for our wedding and to their dismay, there was no such reception desk to receive their envelop. They joined in the fun like everybody else with limited French but lots of good wine and high spirit. As the music started, they felt more and more anxious about the envelop. While my husband was rocking and rolling on the dance floor, my friend came up and put a dark red envelope in his shirt pocket...... it brought a round of applause and roars of laughters....some guests immediately encouraged my husband to strip...
"Actually we would prefer cash, as we now end up with two sets, or sometime three sets of every household items" a couple who got married rather late in their lives share with me their appreciation of "cash donation".
"How do you know how much to give?" Alor, THAT, is the mystery.
You just know because you are friends with the couple and you know what they expect of you and what your friendship/relationship is worth and all the socio-economic webs and you and the couple are caught for as long as you have known each other. There are no rules.
"Oh, yes there are" my cousin protested, "I was told that since I earn more I should give more"
"Then how do THEY know how much you earn?"
"By the very fact that I always give more!" He looked at me as if I was daft.
And dont be surprised if you see guests who arrive at the wedding reception early are playing majoh while waiting for the food to be served. That is more Hong Kong style - from my memory.
I have received numerous wedding invitations from all corners of the world, the one I regretted not attending was an Indian one where, according to the photos I saw afterwards, my friend could barely lift up her head thanks to the gold chains her mother in law gave her on the day.
A friend of mine owns a small castle just minutes from Paris, his favorite past time is to "marry"
young Korean couples in his garden for a few hundred euros, all organised by the travel agent.
"How can you marry them, in what capacity?" I mean, besides charging the young couple to have photos taken in your charming demeure, manicured garden with a lovely creek.
"You see, in the old days, common people needed permission from people like me (he means,
"nobles") in order to be legally wedded. So i am kind of doing it the old fashion way."
"Are they then considered married right after you read them the civil code in French?" I dont know if he is still doing this, that was more than four years ago.
"They are considered at least happily in love". This guy is a poet.
No comments:
Post a Comment